About Weddings

Q. How long before our marriage must we lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage form to an authorised marriage celebrant?
A. You must lodge a completed form to your celebrant no longer than 18 months before your intended marriage, and no later than one month prior to your marriage.

Q. What documents do we need to show the celebrant?
A. If you were born in Australia, you must produce an original Birth Certificate or a Passport. If you have been previously married, you must have evidence that the marriage has been terminated either by divorce or death. If you were born outside of Australia, although a birth certificate is preferred, if it is not available a current or expired passport (not cancelled) will be acceptable.

Q. My fiancee is being transferred overseas in three weeks and we really want to get married before he goes. Is that possible?
A. Yes, it is possible in certain circumstances, to shorten the minimum notice time for a marriage, but you would need to apply for a “Shortening of Time” by a Prescribed Authority. This would usually be at your local Court or Registry. You would need to have sufficient documentation to support your request, or it would not be considered. I can supply you with the required form, and assist you in completing it. You would then need to make an appointment with your local court.

Q. Can I marry my cousin?
A. Yes you can marry anyone of the opposite gender providing they are not an ancestor or a descendant..e.g. parent, grandparent,child, grandchild, brother sister, or adopted sibling.

About Baby Namings

Q. What age should our child be when we have a Naming Ceremony?
A. There are no rules regarding the age of the child. Young babies tend to sleep through the ceremony and therefore are easy to manage, but the photos won’t be very exciting. Whereas with a toddler, you will finish up with some wonderful and sometimes hilarious memories.

Q. Can our older children participate in the ceremony?
A. They certainly can, and I am able to give you great ideas of how to include them, such as appropriate readings, or maybe planting a tree or a small garden for all the children to grow up with.

About Commitment Ceremonies

Q. What kind of wording is used in a Commitment Ceremony and are there any legal requirements?

A. A Commitment Ceremony can be worded in a similar style to a wedding ceremony, provided that the celebrant makes it quite clear to the guests that it is not a wedding. You can exchange “promises” in place of vows, choose readings that are either traditional or comical, and you can even exchange rings as a symbol of your commitment. As it is not a legal or binding ceremony, there is no paper work involved and you can make it as casual as you like, without compromising your sincerity and love for each other. At the end of the ceremony the celebrant will present you both with a certificate of Commitment.

About a Renewal of Vows ceremony

Q. What makes a couple decide to have a Renewal ceremony.

A. Quite often it is their children who come up with the idea. It could be an important wedding anniversary, twentieth or perhaps twenty fifth, and with younger couples it could be a way of celebrating a milestone birthday, such as a fortieth. Some couples still have the wording of their wedding ceremony and this can be used, but once again, the celebrant must make it clear that the couple are simply renewing their vows. It is a lovely family occasion and often rekindles a spark in the marriage and sets a wonderful example to the children and grandchildren.